View Follow Gutman in a larger map

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Solo treck

I left nicaragua on the 6th on my own.

Traveling solo has been unreal. Being able to do what ever i whant when ever i want however i want has been a very empowering feeling. I highly recommend it.

I got to playa Samora and checked into a $10 a night hostel right on the beach. I love this town. I met some of the local costa rican guys who work at the hostel and hung out with them all week long. It happend to be a religous holiday that weekend for easter and they had a ban on booze across the country. But these guys had all the inside hookups so it didn't matter

I even got to play on their soccor team. I was the only gringo at the game and i scored the first goal for my team. I felt realy cool. Then on my last night i stayed up partying all night long and caught a 6am bus to panama. Needless to say i went out with a bang.

Then last night i got to bocas del toro panama and went out to a local bar full of indian guys. I made friends with them and a few of us took this guy's boat to some random town 30 min away. We go in the bar and there is a guy literally passed out on the floor right in front of the bar and nobody thinks it is weird. we leave to back to the town i am staying in and the engine breaks down.

Then it starts to rain. Fucking poor actually.

so here i am, with two native panamanians who speak 0 english, in the middle of the ocean, 2 in the morning, drifting. 2 hrs later we drift to an island and wake up some random guy with a boat and he has to tow us to my new friend's house in his village. we get there 30 min later and he gives me some dry clothes to borrow. Dry womans jeans to be exact. So i put them on and fall asleep on his futon which has 0 cushions. I woke up to little kids running around looking at me strange. But i made freinds with his family and they were very warm to me. People live very poor out here but are so giving. it was an amazing experience.

I had to take a pis real bad so i went to their bathroom. it is outside and consists of a few posts, a tarp rapped around to form a circle and a large bucket of water. I didn't know where i was supposed to go.

I try to hold it, but it is too hard. A little embarrased i asked this kid where the hell my piss was supposed to go. 5 min later we figured out what echother were saying and he just told me to piss in the river.

The engine was still broken so i hitched a ride back to bocas with some fisherman.

It was a mentally exhausting night, but the entire experience was not something i could have baught anywhere. And i made some new friends out of it.

Today some friends get here from the states and we will be looking for good surf.

Oh and last but not least, I have booked a return ticket home from quito ecuador. I get back on may 13th to san francisco. will hang there for a week, then go to colorado for a week for a wedding, then to NYC to hang out with family and go to my mom's grave site. the 31st marks the 1 yr anniversary of her death.

Then i come back to the bay area till june 30th and leave for peru with my brother.

So this is a message for all my friends and familly who i may see when i return to the states.

I NEED PLACES TO STAY! YOUR COUCH, YOUR FLOOR, YOUR REFRIGERATOR. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

so if i show up unannounced expecting to be put up, don't say i didn't warn you. And i am probably going to eat all of your food too. and drink all of your beer.

5 comments:

Catherine Kerth said...

WOW! What an adventure. Hope y'all catch soke rockin' waves.

catherine

Unknown said...

Gutman! Great stories man. You KNOW you have a place to stay with lots of food and TONS of beer. If you need a place to crash, DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK. Forget asking, just come over! LOL Hope to see you soon brother. Take it easy bro,

Vegas

Lazer Cheese said...

the downey st massacre is counting down the days till you return...

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex said...

You're more than welcome to stay on my couch.