View Follow Gutman in a larger map

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lynch Mob Mexico Style (not for the faint)

So the other day Scott and I were hiking with two elderly couples who were in town visiting. We took them up the the chapel on the hill behind my dad's house. you know, a nice leisurely hike. On our way up, Scott took a wrong turn with one of they wives and noticed something odd in the bushes. He quickly realized he was off course and took the wife back the way they came and found the correct trail.

Now Scott, being the gentlemen that he is, does not inform the lady of what he saw. But rather comes up to me and whispers it in my ear. I am shocked, disgusted and eagerly want to check out what he had found.

Yesterday we find the same trail, through a different route I might add, where we had to navigate through 80 degree incline dirt landslides, thorn bushes and literally had to carry my dog through and over a broken down barbed wire fence amongst the roughage. Not fun!

After finally getting to the trail head we walk a few hundred meters and look up to the left and there it is... My jaw drops, my mind races, my camera comes out.




Now it may not seem like it, but this dog is as big as a small bear. I have no idea why someone would want to lynch their dog from a tree 20 meters off a commonly used hiking trail but this was fuckin creepy. But not creepy enough apparently to prevent me from getting up close and personal to take a few pictures. As I walked up there the flies started to swarm around my face and body and the smell was god awful. After a couple quick snapshots I was more than ready to get the hell out.

on a side note, the dog must have been there for at least 5 days or so which leads me to believe there are no large Predators/Scavengers in the mountains. Good thing for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi GUT???? what does that stand for Michael? Im really glad to read your blog and see you had an awesome time in Oaxaca and Acapulco and now in Ajijic, so whats next? when are you starting your spanish and art and music lessons?
keep in touch and send a big hug and kiss to your dad, and one for you too!
with love
Sandra

Lazer Cheese said...

Dude, watch out for la chupacabra!!!!