View Follow Gutman in a larger map

Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving... in Mexico?!

No, Mexicans do not celebrate Thanksgiving. Nor does my Mexican family. However a few years back my mom decided to force my cousins, Pablo and Lisette, to let both her and my dad come to their bed and breakfast to celebrate Thanksgiving. That year there were 5 people at the celebration (not all of them family).

This year there were at least 25 of members of the family in attendance. I say "at least" because we were all to busy drinking, laughing and getting to know each other that we did not have time to take a formal head count.

I am just starting to become acquainted with my Mexican relatives and I must say they are Fuckin Awesome.

Below are some pics of the weekend that my cousin Peter took. Mostly of family, Nature in the surrounding area and of the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary.

The Butterfly Sanctuary is worth noting because for some reason (scientists are unaware of) every year the Monarch Butterflies fly from Canada to Mexico and congregate in certain parts of the forest in the mountains near Zitacuaro, Mexico. It is an incredible site to see. Now i am pretty petrified of bugs, and i sometimes (all the time) scream like a little girl if a spider gets within 3 ft of me, but i had no problem letting these butterflies engulf my personal space. Truly a magical and spectacular event to witness.

Click on the slide show to enlarge it


I am writing this from Mexico City, where Scott and I plan to hang for the next week. My cousin Pablo gave us his house to chill in. Last night we met up with my old roommate from Australia (he is Mexican)and drank some beers in the hood. I hadn't seen him in 6 yrs and it felt really good to catch up with an old buddy. We'll stay with him over the weekend where we will get the insiders tour of the all the dirtiest dive bars in Mexico City. Maybe even catch some live music too.

On Sunday the plan is to drive to the coast and get some sand in our shoes.

1 comment:

Nigel Cordeiro said...

I pulled a "Gutman" with a huge spider in my backyard the other day.

Great to read about these adventures. If I can't make it to Bangalore this spring, I'm visiting you in South America for some pool/tequila.