View Follow Gutman in a larger map

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Road Trip To Texas

My dad and I had to take care of some administrative stuff in the states so we made a road trip out of it. We traveled north to texas which is the closest US border.

Northern Mexico is mostly high desert; full of Joshua trees and rocky mountain ranges that thrust violently toward a sun bleached sky. I was surprised by its rugged beauty and even romanticized what it must have been like to be an outlaw cowboy running from the texas rangers into ole mexico.

I did not foresee this happening, but it felt really nice to be back in the states. Even after only 2 months i missed the country I call my home and felt more of a kinship towards it than i have in a long time. Despite all the ultra right wing texas radio talk shows bad mouthing Obama I really enjoyed texas.

We stopped in San Antonio for a night where my dad and i cruised down to the Riverwalk and dined on ribs, brisket and Budweisers. Damn that felt good.

After which we went to Austin where i had some business to take care of. I had my last day consulting for LegalMatch and spent the day in the offices there. So that is the last of my work obligations for now and although i no longer have a steady income, i am also no longer obliged to be tied to a computer. But Austin is a fun town full of open minded people (generally speaking compared to the rest of texas) and i had fun partying there that friday night.

After Austin we drove to Katy, which is a town just outside Houston where Trudy and her kids, Chris & Jenny, and their families live (old time family friends. People who knew me since before i was born) Even though i am Jewish, it felt like Christmas while i was over there. There were toys all around, i got to play guitar hero and mariokart on wii and drink beer and eat good food without having to worry about being anywhere. A very nice feeling full of love. Not to mention i ate taco bell which i had been craving. #7 with a baja chalupa please!

I also bought myself a mini laptop for my travels. My new favorite toy. this thing weighs less than 3 pounds; dimensions measuring 10x6inches (give or take) So now i can mooch off of free wifi while i am traveling and keep everyone posted while abroad.

It took a couple of days to drive back to Ajijic, but now we are here and getting ready for our departure for Costa Rica on the 23rd.

2 comments:

Catherine Kerth said...

It was great having you guys here. Brandon was hoping you two were still at Trudy's this past weekend. He wanted to show you more Wii games and show Leo his candy!

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip to Costa Rica! We're gonna miss you for the superbowl! You should via satellite yourself to Schmolke's. Have fun broseph!
- Kev