View Follow Gutman in a larger map

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bye Bye Peru

I just got back from a 4 day trek that consisted of mountains, jungle, and yes, Machu Picchu AGAIN. Had to go back and check it out some more. The trek was rad.

day 1: 6 hr mountain bike session that started in the clouds and ended in a gorgeous river valley. Cold as shit at the top which I combated with my ability to ride with one hand and drink from a flask of rum with the other. Oh, and I now have symmetrical blisters on each of my thumbs from the shitty handle bars.

Day 2 & 3: trekking through the mountains and jungle. We would trek then break, trek then break, trek then break. I would literally sweat through my shirt, then it would dry, then sweat through it again. This would happen at least 6 times a day. I don't know how it did not just disintegrate. At the end of the 3rd day our trek ended in a hot springs i.e. my first shower of the trip. Felt good but got destroyed by sand flies. I have at least 20 bites on each ankle not to mention other places. Bastards.

Day 4: machu picchu (again) But this time I woke up at 3:30 am, hiked to the entrance by sunrise and was one of the 400 people able to climb up to Wayna Pichu, the mountain above Machu Picchu. (they only allow 400 people up there a day) You literally feel like you are on top of the world. The Incas must have all had baby sized feet because you are hiking on 6 inch steps that wrap around shear rock faces with an easy 1000 ft. drop right next to you. A little nerve racking, but absolutely amazing.

Yesterday was a long day. I woke up at 3:30am to climb up to MP, and then stayed up till 3:30 last night. Today I am relaxing. Going to spend the last of my soles (Peruvian currency) on a $10/hr massage, not as sleazy as it sounds, I think/hope... Then I am off to Bolivia tonight.

Here are some pics of the trek and i also took some pics of some random Peruvians while i was drinking a cup of coffee on a balcony above a plaza in Cusco. Read: i am not a creepy voyeur. I just wanted some Peruvians in my memory card. is that weird?

And someone stole my fuckin jacket. Fuckers.

3 comments:

Lazer Cheese said...

this leg is waychu awesome

BigWilly said...

I promise Gut... it wasn't ME that stole your jacket. YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME!!!

Catherine Kerth said...

Very jealous of your trek!